Big Ben

Big Ben
London

Monday, June 27, 2011

First day of Class

Today started off quite well. It actually seemed pretty nice this morning, but it ended up getting pretty hot. I successfully made the tube (subway) journey to Oxford Circus where our group meet up to go to University of Westminster's Orientation. During the ride I sat beside a guy and after a girl walked onto the tube he recognized her and said hi and they began talking about the weather. I thought my director was kidding when she said people in London usually talk about the weather most of the time. I learned this is because it is a safe topic. She said only about 5% of people go to church, so most of the churches have been turned into bars. They really enjoy drinking over here. Anyway back to the tube, as I was leaving when we got to the escalator everyone literally got in a single file line and stood to the right so that everyone who was in a hurry could walk/run by on the left. It was an interesting sight to actually see how much they followed this way of doing things. Not knowing about this would definitely cause you to stand out. After arriving at my destination and meeting up with the group we went to the library and they ended up going over a lot of stuff we went over for API about London. Then they gave us lunch, which seemed more like a snack of finger foods to us. Then we headed off for our first class. We ended up in a classroom in the basement and since they don't really have A/C's it as extremely hot. They said today was the hottest day of the year, go figure. So we ended up only having an 1.5 hour class instead of 3 hours. Then I waited for one of my group members and we met up with another group member and went to Argos to get some items. I ended up with a fan, pillows, bowls and plates, and silverware. This is similar to a  wal mart without any food in a way. The main difference is that you walk into the store and go through a catalog and pick out the different items and check their availability and then write down the reference number. Then you head up to the counter and pay for the items and after you stand in the waiting area for your order to be picked up. The one downside is you don't see what you bought until after you pay. But it was a good experience and I got a few essential items. Then we grabbed some food and headed back on the tube station. After returning I had a note saying my room had been repaired so I finally got to move back in and actually unpack everything. Finally feels like I'm actually going to be staying here for awhile now. It's been a lot of fun so far. By the end of it I feel like I will end up with calves of steel though because of all the walking we do. Well that is all for my first day of class! I will let everyone know how the first week goes. And I will also be randomly be blogging about various things I have learned and difference between the United States and the United Kingdom.

On Saturday I will be heading to Wales for an overnight excursion so check back at the first of the week to see how the trip went!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Heather:
    Have enjoyed reading your blog!
    Sounds like you are having quite the experience of a lifetime.
    Enjoy!
    Love ya,
    Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete