Big Ben

Big Ben
London

Monday, August 1, 2011

Guards

Today I ended up heading to class a little earlier so I could print off my slides for the presentation to practice tonight. And it was a good thing I did because this morning the Bakerloo line had minor delays so that could of caused some issues. After getting to school I printed off the slides and then just hung out in the Library killing about 15 minutes before heading to class.

Class today wasn't too bad, we went over mediation and then we had time to work on our presentations. Luckily ours was done so we just ran through it and tonight we just need to work on our parts. Towards the end of the lecture before going to the computer lab our teacher first decided to move the test to Thursday which means one more day to study, but then she also was saying about going to the computer lab to work on the presentation and story board (basically master slides, what the slide format will be nothing really complicated). This for some seemed to shock everyone in the class. Last week she even gave us an example, but because the computer lab was being painted we didn't work on it then and we were supposed to construct it then. So that night I of course put it together, it took all of 10 minutes, nothing challenging. But today we then spent 30 minutes of class where she had to explain it 20 different ways because no one seemed to know what was going on, I was almost becoming irritated, I'm sure as the teacher was also, because she just had to keep repeating it. Finally she decided to just give us a break and then when people got back she was going to explain it again, I asked if my partner and I could just go to the lab because we had it under control. She was happy someone at least understood so she let us go. Then about 10 minutes later everyone else showed up, some were still confused so we showed them ours because I had already done it and that helped a little. My partner and I ended up running through what we were going to do and then we headed out.

Following class I headed to the guards museum. It was actually kinda warm today, almost 80 degrees (heat wave), so the Tube was rather warm. But I ended up picking the wrong tube station to go to because I ended up on the backside of the barracks and had to walk all the way around to get to the guards museum. It wasn't a big deal and I knew where I was, just hot outside. It's funny how I've learned the central area so well and I'm able get around quite easily. So I finally found the museum and unfortunately you can't take pictures outside, but I got a couple of the area outside. It was a really cool museum and I enjoyed it.

Just outside the front door they have a little kid outfit and I just had to take a picture because he looked so cute in it.

Some things I learned were 5 regiments and they are differentiated by the different color of flumes (flume goes in their hats) and number of grouped buttons. The 18th century is when they began having the foot guard regiments. And the regiments are Grenadier, Cold stream, Scots, Irish, Welsh foot guard regiments. Originally the Irish chose green for obvious reasons until they found out the welsh already had that color so they picked blue because A plume of St. Patrick's blue was selected because blue is the color of the mantle and sash of the Order of St. Patrick. The most interesting I learned was that the Queen at age 17, while she was Princess Elizabeth, became the first woman colonel of the Grenadier foot guard regiment.


Afterwards I decided to go over to St. James which was nearby to find the guard where you are able to stand next to him and take a picture, but when I got to the post no one was there so I'm not sure why he wasn't there or if they still have someone there. I ended up walking back to the other side and semi taking a picture with on of the guards. There was a fence up and this was as close as I could get, but it'll do. It was an adventure.

Then because of the heat and everything I ended up getting a headache so I headed back and laid down for a bit. I felt a little better afterwards when I got up. I ate some dinner and then worked on what I was going to say for my presentation. So I will let everyone know how it goes tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment