Big Ben

Big Ben
London

Friday, July 22, 2011

Day full of Shakespeare

Today was a pretty eventful day, and all full of Shakespeare!

I got up around 8:30 and headed out about 9:30, I ended up taking to the tube to the Embankment station then got off and took the ferry like we did when we went to Greenwich because it was only a 12 minute ride and I ended up getting off right in front of the Globe so it was the easiest route.

When I got there I picked up my tickets and started off with a tour of the Globe and then went through the museum. It was cool to get to see it all and learn even more about it after hearing about it for so many years in school.


This Globe Theatre is actually the 3rd. The first one was burned down and the second one closed when world war broke out. Then in the 1990s this one was built. It is their best guess as too what it actually looked like and I think they did an awesome job in what it could of looked like, of course they had a few modifications such as the fire sprinklers and more than one exit. This is literally the only building in London with a thatch roof because of the fire hazard.

 Preparing for the show at 2pm

After the museum I grabbed some lunch from a place with food there. At 2pm I saw Doctor Faustus, I bought the groundling ticket which was only 5 pounds, and you have to stand the whole time, but actually worth it because you are right in front of the actors. It was really cool because they really get into it and are able to include the audience in the experience and you feel like you are a part of it. So after getting inside I ended up finding a wall so that I had something to at least lean against during the time. The sun randomly came out so it would get kinda warm then cloudy again. I really didn't think it was too bad, I still had my jacket on. But there was one girl, maybe in her teens who blacked out and fell. It was a little scary but she was fine. I'm glad I'm at least adapted to hot weather and being in the sun so it doesn't bother me. The play lasted about 2 hours and 45 minutes.

They gave out sweet hats for the sun
Afterwards I caught the ferry back and made it back to the dorm and then got some dinner. I then got some various things done and got my stuff packed up. Tomorrow morning, 7:30am of course, we leave for York and North of England so be on the lookout Monday to see how the weekend trip went.

I hope everyone is staying cool back in Kansas! I wish I could send some more rain your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment