Big Ben

Big Ben
London

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Harry Potter Mania

The morning started off as usual, but we had a slight mishap on the tube. Every morning the majority of our group meets downstairs and we go together. We all made it on the tube, but not everyone made it off. When we got to the Regent Park station we all stood up and four of us got off, three of us didn't. When we got to the lift to go up, we realized we were missing people. I went back to the platform but no one was there. We were all baffled as to what happened to them. We thought they got off, come to find out they just didn't make it in time. We found it odd though they didn't yell or try to get out attention. So then we just continued onto class because they would have to get off at the next station and switch to the other platform and come back. Made the morning interesting at least. 

Class was normal as usual. And we ended up getting out at 12:30, kinda early but then I stayed and asked the teacher a lot of questions about our papers. Structure wise they don't have many rules on how the paper should be set up. It was a interesting conversation because she was intrigued by all of the stuff we are expected to do. For example our papers for MLA are supposed to be 1 inch margins, 12 point Times New Roman Font with your name and page number in the header. And all she wanted was 11 or 12 point readable font. It is almost more challenging because I've been so used to having a paper structure and now that we are free to do whatever, it almost makes it harder. It is kind of nice though because they care more about the content and are less worried about formatting, where back at KSU the teacher is concerned with formatting and content. 

The good news is that staying an extra 30 minutes missed I missed the rain, but once I started walking it started again. It rained on and off until about 3pm. After leaving the building I headed down to a department store, Debenhams, which is huge, to find a duffel bag to take back with me so I can fit some extra stuff I bought in it. Luckily I found one on sale for only 10 pounds. I was pretty excited, until I got to the counter. I went to pay for the bag with my debit card, and they froze it, now for the 3rd time. Luckily when he said it was declined I wasn't shocked and just handed him money. Luckily all I have to do is call the bank security number and explain the transactions they are concerned with and they unlock it. I at least know my bank has great security, I am happy for that.

After leaving the store I headed down to Trafalgar Square where the red carpet premiere was taking place. I didn't stand in line to get a wrist band so I couldn't go inside the barriers. So I wondered around the outside. I uploaded the pictures I took to the Harry Potter album. So if you scroll back down to the photo album lists it should be updated with them. It was pretty cool to see so many people though. I stayed for only about 15 minutes then headed back. I ended up watching it on you tube which was a better trade off because then I could hear what they were talking about and actually see everyone close up. They said they expected 18,000 to wonder around the square and I have a feeling that many did. There were so many people. A couple people they talked to said they came from Sweden and had been there 4 days and 3 nights just to get front row. There are some crazy Harry Potter fans. 

Then I ended up taking a nice nap and then got up and ate dinner and will be starting to work on researching and writing my paper. Procrastination strikes again. 

Trafalgar Square 

No comments:

Post a Comment