Big Ben

Big Ben
London

Friday, July 8, 2011

My Friday Outting


So today did not go 100% as planned, but I managed to still see some cool things. I was going to get up to go see the changing of the guards but when my alarm went off I could hear the rain and as much as I wanted to go, standing in the rain just didn't sound fun, so I am rescheduling it for another Friday morning.  The good news is that I got to go back to sleep and get some much needed sleep. I got up around 11 and got ready and headed out about 12:15pm. First I went to Harrods, I was in awe at this store, and wondered around for quite awhile. At one point I actually got lost in a section because I couldn't remember where I came in at, but I managed to find an exit. There were 5 floors and 8 entrances. The store literally had anything and everything, and it was expensive. I found a 85 inch 3D TV for 50,000 pounds so almost $82,000. The store has brands such as Marc Jacobs, Armani, Juicy Couture, Gucci, etc. The best part was they had kids clothing lines with all of these brands as well. So this would be the stores the extremely rich people shop at. Each floor also had a place where you could go to get a personal shopper, that would be an experience. I also managed to find 3 different banks of escalators and stairs. I took some pictures of different parts of the store so take a look, it would probably be easier to know what I mean. I would like to thank Mary for telling me about it because I would have never ventured there or to St. Paul's Cathedral where I headed afterwards, Thank you! I also took quite a few pictures of the outside. It was really neat to be able to see the cathedral. It was so huge. I can't imagine attending church in there, especially know the history of the cathedral and everything that has taken place there. 

Harrods


St. Paul's Cathedral
 
Luckily I'm good at planning because my last stop was to go to the Museum of London which was literally a 5 minute walk down the street. The museum held the whole history of London starting from the very beginning. It was cool to see where London has come and where it could go. One thing I found that was cool was learning about the Fire that struck London and lasted 5 days. Major events like that can make or break a city and London was able to, with time of course, rebuild into what it is today. Below are two albums of pictures from the museum. 

Museum of London

After leaving the museum I headed back, of course not realizing it was 5:30pm so I hit rush hour, on the tube. It was a little crowded but I managed. It is a lot easier when you are by yourself to take on that task. On the one stop I watched a dad and two boys dashing to make the tube because the doors were about to close and the one son comes hoping on but the dad and other boy didn't make it. The boy realize what happened at first until the tube took off. His dad tried to explain quickly what to do but the son wasn't understanding. Luckily the guy standing next to him reassured him that he would make sure he would get him to do what he needed to. So at the next stop the boy gets off and tried to take off running up the stairs and the guy yelled and told him to stay there on the platform and his dad would be on the next tube. He stayed where he was standing and I'm guessing his dad was able to reunite with his son. Scary things like that would make tube traveling hard to do. When the doors close, they close. That would be a parents nightmare to happen especially if the child is younger. Luckily people care and are helpful. Another element of the tube I find interesting is how structured it is in what to do. When it is super busy during the rush hour there are many people trying to get on and off and people here seem to understand that. People on the platform will stand there and wait for people to get off the tube and then they enter. In the United States it doesn't quite work like that. The other funny thing is when it comes to going up and down the escalator and how people will literally form a line and stand on the right side so people can walk up it on the left. I am just assumed how well the system works. I saw a sign that said the Bakerloo line, the main line I use, has 2 million people travel on it everyday. That is just amazing. Additionally, they have litter laws so London as well as the tube is for the most part really clean which is nice. 

After returning to my room I ate dinner and packed some stuff for our day trip to Stonehenge and Bath tomorrow. Depending on when we get back it might be Sunday before I get a chance to let everyone know how it went. And I'm going to do some work on my paper so I will catch everyone later!

Have a great weekend!





No comments:

Post a Comment