Big Ben

Big Ben
London

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Kansas feeling day

Weather around 9:15am low 60's mild, felt nice

Today started off as usual with a ride on the tube to class. But at the beginning of class we got to do an outside activity where we had 3 groups go to different super markets and look for the same item to compare price. There were of course large extremes which was the point of it. It would be like comparing Wal-Mart clothes to Buckle clothes. The good news is I needed a few grocery items and our store was the closest and we got done really quickly so I actually had time to shop which saved time for me. Then when we got back to campus we still had 30 minutes so I grabbed lunch (around 11am) and ate in the classroom while we waited on the other groups, then after class I got to go back to the dorm right away. In class today we talked about pricing, which was interesting. I feel like I picked up on the different methods pretty quickly so it was an easy class. Afterwards then I headed straight back to my class.

Weather: right before walking outside it had rained, luckily it just stopped before I left and then was sunny.

I got back to my room and started uploading all of my pictures, which are on the blog before this, and working on some homework. I planned on leaving around 2:30 for the Cabinet War Museum, which was our API event today. But totally lost track of time and around 3:06 Karen, the assistant director called. I scrambled to get all my stuff together and headed out the door. I literally ran to the tube, had to switch tubes (ran between them) and then ran out of the tube. Once I got outside I realized I had no idea where to go, but there was a security guard at the door just outside the stop and I knew it was in the area so I asked him and it was actually just around the corner. So I took off running again and actually saw them and managed to catch up. I felt pretty accomplished, tired, but accomplished.

Weather: sunny and warm, oddly enough kinda windy. If you are from Kansas though it would be considered a breeze, but windy for here


Above is the picture of the entrance. This is literally the only part above ground. When you walk in there is a girl at a desk and then a set of stairs. The Cabinet War Room is where Churchill ran the war from because of how much they were getting air raided it was safer. There is 6ft of concrete between downstairs and where this picture is taken. They were down there for about 6 years and when the war was over they literally just shut the lights off and left and so they found it exactly how they left it and now it is the museum today. I really enjoyed the museum.The video below is an interactive board they have there. It has all the dates listed and you are able to slide your finger on a touch pad to look at different dates and it tells you what happened. The cool thing is when you hit certain things cool things happen, like in the video. Check it out.

 

I was amused by the table for a good 15 minutes before I continued on. I will hopefully be adding the pictures from here in the next couple days. I took quite a few. I found it really interesting to see what it was like to live down there. I think it would be a great place to see as a younger kid in school. It would definitely make history class more exciting to be able to actually experience history like that. I ended up staying there from about 3:30-5:30. We didn't have a time restriction and could leave when we wanted to, which was kinda nice.

Weather: cooled off, not windy anymore

Then we grabbed the tube and headed back. Once I returned I got all the pictures uploaded and put the links on here and then got to Skype with Mom for a bit and catch up on the GBK (Great Bend, KS) news. I am definitely out of the loop over hear. But I am up to date on the latest UK news at least, have to do something when I ride the tube haha.  Then I started working on my  paper for class that is due on the last day of class. The hardest part is always getting started, but I decided I really want to work on it a lot this weekend so I don't have to worry next week right before the deadline.

Weather: cool and windy; possibly rain again during the night.

In addition to updating you about my day, I also threw in how the weather was just to demonstrate why I picked the title I did. Today felt very much like a day in Kansas where the weather can change every 5 minutes. For me it wasn't a big deal and was kinda nice because I felt like it was Kansas, especially the breeze (wind). The nice thing about being from Kansas is that I've learned to always pack for all weather conditions so today didn't even phase me. But one of the girls in the group was complaining about the weather and how it kept changing. I just chuckled, as I am sure anyone else from Kansas will. 
Tomorrow after class I am going to check out the Harry Potter Red Carpet Premiere. Should be interesting to see all the people who will be there for it. 

Catch you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment