Big Ben

Big Ben
London

Monday, July 18, 2011

Greenwich + Harry Potter = Amazing Day




At 9am Karen, assistant director, met us outside the dorm and we headed to the London Eye Pier because we took the ferry (public transportation) to Greenwich, only about a 30 minute ride so not too bad. The inside actually looked similar to an airplane so it was cool. Then we got to Greenwich, which is technically included in Greater London, but they set themselves apart and don’t include themselves in it. First we went into a painted hall which was amazing looking and a scene from the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean was shot there.



We then walked up a crazy steep hill to the Royal Observatory where you get a great view of London and the Prime Meridian is located there, but starting this year you now have to pay so we didn’t get to do it. 



Then we were set free to do whatever so I visited the Maritime Museum, which I enjoyed and I went to the Greenwich Visitor Center (they had a loo (bathroom), which are hard to come by here). Then I went to the Greenwich Market and wondered around. There was some good stuff there but I didn’t buy anything. Then I started to wonder back toward the DLR (Docking Light Railway) where we were meeting. It is a brand new line that is similar to the tube but above ground and there is no driver, it’s all computer. It was really neat. Before meeting up though I found a souvenir shop that had the cheapest shirts I found so far. I was looking for 3 shirts, “Mind the Gap” “I’m Going Underground” (with a picture of the tube map) and one that said London England. I found them, but only 2 of them I found in small, luckily I walked across the street to another one and found the shirt in small for the same price. Now I’m all set!



By the way, it rained on and off all day….definitely in England.

Then we met up and headed back. My movie was at 3:45 and we got back around 2 so I decided to head there because I still needed to pick up my ticket. So I dropped my stuff off and headed to Leicester Square. I got to the box office to get my ticket to find out I didn’t have one reserved. Apparently, there is a difference between Leicester and Leicester Square. I bought a ticket for a movie theater in another country. The guy was nice enough to give me a number and since I called before the movie started it was easily refunded. That ticket was only 8 pounds, the one I ended up buying was 15 pounds. But this movie was in 3D and I just wanted to see it already so I bought a ticket for 4:45pm and  just had to kill an hour. When the guy was searching for a seat, yes they are reserved seating, he was looking for two and then when I said it was just me it was a lot easier to find a better seat. I was happy with my seat.

Up above there are more seats
After purchasing my 3rd ticket I went to a little pizza place around the corner and got some lunch. And then went to the BK beside to get some ice cream and kill time, and it had started raining. Then about 4:25 I headed around the corner to the theater because the seating starts at 4:30, they had to get 1400 people out before they could let that many back in, the theater was huge. As I was walking towards it the rain started to pick up, then as I got under the awning it started to down pouring and it actually scared a few people because they screamed, I laughed. Being from Kansas I’m used to random rain and rain strength. Then I made my way to my seat and was amazed at how large it was and the seats were comfortable.



It started with commercials, then movie previews then the movie. During the commercials people were still wondering around and talking and then when the movie previews started they sat down and started to get quiet. That was interesting. And I don’t know if it happens with all movies or just because it was Harry Potter, but they tend to clap a lot. They clapped when the title appeared, then toward the end when major things happened (not going to say so it doesn’t give it away) they clapped, then when it was over they clapped again. I was intrigued by this. But the movie was awesome and I’m glad for what I went through to get there.

Afterwards I headed back and on the way I stopped to buy some groceries. Then I ate dinner and planned on working on my blog but ended up I kept falling asleep so I just headed to bed early. 


No comments:

Post a Comment